Sunday, December 5, 2010

I started having contractions at around 10pm on Thanksgiving night. They came about an hour apart, then 30 minutes, then 20, and 10. We called the Dr and they said to go ahead and head to the hospital. I had always wondered if I knew what contractions would feel like when they came and now I see what a freaking stupid question that was. Oh my gosh. I had never felt such pain in my life. Once we got to the hospital around 2:30am, they were so intense I felt like throwing up. It was the worst pain I had ever felt in my life. I can't even describe how it felt, but it was bad. My contractions were lasting around 2 and a half minutes which is pretty long when they are so intense. Anyway, around 8:50, I was dilated to a 3 so they offered my an epidural. I was a little hesitant b/c I wasn't sure about getting needles in my back but then another contraction came and I immediately said YES!! I really don't know how women give birth without medication. I think they must be a lot stronger than me, b/c I would never have another child if I had to do that naturally. The epidural was FANTASTIC!! The anesthesiologist was awesome and in a few minutes of Allens hands turning blue, my entire lower half was numb. After that it was all downhill!! I couldn't feel the contractions, my legs...none of it! About 5 hours later at 1:50pm I was dilated to a 10!!! Since my Dr was out of town for Thanksgiving I had another Dr come to deliver Kai. He was great and at that point I didn't care who was down "there" just as long as BK came out healthy. So we pushed for about 2 hours and at 3:56 pm on 11/26/2010, Baby Kai came into the world. The pushing was hard, but it wasn't bad b/c I couldn't feel any pain. After about 18 hours of labor, Kai was here! He was 7 lbs 14oz and 13.78 inches long. He was healthy and so was I. After they put me back together a little, we spent an hour in the delivery room and then were moved up to our post delivery room where we had lots of visitors come to give lovin' to our baby! We stayed 2 nights and then came home on Sunday afternoon. Tankie and Bo have been super good! Our world has pretty much been turned upside down, but Allen is such a great help and we are all learning this together which has been fun. Breastfeeding is a bitch and is so hard at first! I think Kai and I are getting the hang of it, but I had no idea how exhausting and frustrating it could be! I'm still sore and tired, but we are getting on a schedule and that has made it easier. We went to the Dr b/c the first night Kai couldn't really breathe out of his nose and it was really hard for him to nurse. That was scary, but his nose cleared up the next day and he seems to be fine now. I love my baby so much and just want to sit and stare at him all day long. He's so perfect and Allen and I are super happy!!

1 comment:

  1. Girl you've got me crying! I am overwhelmed with happiness for you guys. Thanks for posting the details, you know I love a good birth story. haha!
    I am thinking of you all often and wish so badly I could come up to visit! Much love!! He is absolutly perfectly beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete